Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Jokkmokk and Tender Mercies

What a week... Where to begin? I got my hair cut (I wish highlighted) and the STL's came for "workovers"/I wanted an excuse to go to the Arctic circle haha. Splits were fun, I learned a lot again and we talked to SO many people. I really like tracting (talking to people on the street) for some reason, maybe because I just laugh when we get yelled at or people are extremely rude. It's always funnier in Swedish. And then, as you've been waiting for, THE ARTIC CIRCLE!! We drove a few hours North and it was -33 degrees C, I don't know what that is in F, but I stepped out of the car and had to use my inhaler. It was SO cold, like I have never experienced before. My eyelashes even froze, we have a picture of it! Oh, we had so much fun. So we went to Jokkmokk, which is a museum of the Sami people, the indigenous people of Sweden, you have to look them up! I didn't get too many pictures at the museum, but we had a blast. I'll make sure to send those. We also went to SkellefteĆ„ for district meeting so it was a week of a lot of traveling.




 I am really excited about a few people, and have been praying very, very hard for others. It's amazing, you just love people you wouldn't naturally love here. I feel such a strong love for everyone I work with, there's a bond when you have a relationship based on the gospel that is unlike any other.

I felt a lot of love from my Heavenly Father this week. I agree with Elder Bednar when he says "I testify that tender mercies are real and that they do not occur randomly or merely by coincidence." I had a lot of those this week, and I needed them. I always need them, who am I kidding, I am a syster missionary haha. So I decided I am going to read the Book of Mormon before my 6 months mark and I just started at my 3 month mark. I read about Lehi's vision and how he describes the fruit, or the love of God, as "desirable above all others" and "desirable to make one happy" "most sweet above all that I ever before tasted" etc. I was thinking of all the times that Heavenly Father has blessed me in my life, and how joyful and happy I feel when I feel close to Him. And he blessed me more. During a difficult point in the week, I remember saying a prayer and looking down to my open scriptures to a verse that I really needed to hear (Alma 26:27.) I felt prompted to pull out a certain Ensign that gave me counsel an overwhelming feeling of the spirit. The talk in church felt like it was written directly for me, even with words from a song that had touched me and given me strength before my mission. They are everywhere, and God's love brings so much happiness, even when things are very difficult. His love gave me peace as I felt inadequate and alone. 

Well, I think that's it for this week. I'm sorry my emails are so serious! I really have a ton of fun, and a lot of good laughs, I don't know why I can't ever think of anything funny to write haha. I love you all so much. I hope your week is great. Send me pictures if you can! I would love to see what's going on, and show the other missionaries too! I love you all! 

Love,

Syster Stetler

No comments:

Post a Comment